Sailing an Optimist dinghy is the perfect example of social distancing as only one person is in the dinghy at any given time. The optimist dinghies at our Academy will be thoroughly sanitised before each sail and we will stick to strict social distancing rules. Ensure you adhere to the local regulations in your area regarding Covid-19 safety protocols (regular hand sanitising, masks, etc) and you are ready to sail.
You can enter as an individual, corporate, school, charity or team. Challenge your friends, family or competitors to race a boat for charity too.
Each boat sails for their chosen charity and The Little Optimist Trust. Funds raised by your Optimist are split 50/50
Enter HERE for R150 ( $15 ) and Sail or sit in your dinghy for any amount of time , on a day you choose over a 10 day holding period, allowing for optimal weather and personal schedules
- Enter the Challenge via our website and platform: pay a small entry fee and receive an entry number and information pack.
- You can participate as an individual, corporate, school, charity or team.
- Challenge your friends, family or competitors to spent time in an Optimist boat for charity too.
- South Africans participate for their chosen charity and The Little Optimist Trust. Funds raised by your Optimist are split 50/50. International participants can fund raise for their chosen charity OR The Little Optimist Trust.
- Set up a Fundraising page for your boat on one of these amazing online platforms and share with your friends so they will donate and support your boat.
- Spend time in your dinghy on a day you choose over a 10 day holding period, allowing for optimal weather and personal schedules. Don’t have an Optimist? We have Optimist dinghies available at Battery Park in the V & A Waterfront and at Zeekoe Vlei Yacht Club. or Find an Optimist near you. Click here to find out more
- Challenge your friends and network to back your boat and sponsor you for charity.
- Share your challenge on our social media platforms
- When you have completed your sail you will receive a certificate and one of our amazing prizes
Our sailing academy has Optimist dinghies available at 2 locations: Battery Park in the V & A Waterfront and Zeekoe Vlei Yacht Club.
You can book a boat through our website HERE or Contact us and book a time to come and participate for charity! Come as a family, a group of friends or a group of colleagues!
The Little Optimist Global Challenge is all about FUN and OPTIMISM! It will also be the major fundraiser for our charity, The Little Optimist Trust, which has seen a significant drop in income due to the Covid 19 pandemic.
Each boat participating in The Little Optimist Global Challenge will aim to complete time in an Optimist and aim to raise as much as each person can for charity (ideally R2000/$200 per boat )
We have teamed up with BackaBuddy and GivenGain to help you quickly and effortlessly get your friends and family to support your challenge, and help raise money for charity. Our International sailors will be best served with the GivenGain platform which allows your supporters to pay in multiple currencies. Click HERE and start your campaign now. Set up your campaign and share via social media to get your supporters onboard to help you reach your fundraising target.
It is not possible to raise money on one fundraising platform page for a local and an international charity at the same time due to our stringent exchange control regulations in South Africa.
The funds raised by The Little Optimist Global Challenge 2020 for the Trust will be used to cover the costs for 50 children to attend our sailing academy.
Challenge your friends and network to back your boat and sponsor your boat per KM or hour you spend in it for charity.
Plot and record your voyage via Safetrx GPS, Strava or send us Photos and video and upload live to our race and social media platforms (FB and Instagram, Challenge Pages).
Post, share, stream and create before, while you sail, and afterwards.
Our South African sailors can easily share their route information using the NSRI SafeTrx App.
Our international sailors can upload your data from Strava, GPS, Google Maps or KMZ files. On Google Maps you can use TrackMyTour or Traveller App to add waypoints and track your route.
You can also POST, TAG us on Social Media and email your results to us.
All participants should send their details to us and the results will be uploaded daily. The challenge ends at 5pm South African time on 18th October and the winners will be announced on Wednesday 21st October.
Safety and fun are first priority in The Little Optimist Global Challenge! All participants will receive a certificate!
Sail for fun and for fundraising . Help us help the children. Help us raise R300 0000.
Prizes & certificates will be given out for the following categories:
Bronze: Any time spent in an Optimist and over ZAR500 ($50/€50) raised
Silver: Any time spent in an Optimist and over ZAR3000 ($200/€200) raised
Gold: +1 hr in an Optimist or +5 km and over ZAR6000 ($400/€400) raised
Diamond: + 1 hr in an Optimist or +5 Km and over ZAR10 000 ($1000/€1000) raised
Prizes will be given out for the following categories:
- Most Kilometres Sailed
- Longest time in an Optimist
- Most Money Raised
- Best Photo of you in your Optimist
- Best Spirit Award/Best dressed
- Youngest sailor & Oldest sailor
Upload your data from Strava, GPS, Google Maps, KMZ files or NSRI SafeTRX
(Using Google Maps you can use TrackMyTour or Traveller App to add waypoints and track your route)